Anyway I am so glad I did because it really is a lovely bag! I used some UFO blocks to make the QSTs - they were originally HSTs for a 'dinosaur' quilt for DS2 that I had 'fallen out' with. This means the colours are quite drab and you will see a few fossils in there but I think that it has made quite a good looking bag. All the better for using up some forgotten blocks.
Patches just checking the points before layering and quilting!
The quilting was difficult because of all those points meeting at each corner - so I aborted my first attempt and did parallel lines which missed most of the bulk and gives quite a pleasing quilting design.
Gizmo was very unimpressed with the finished result when I photographed it this afternoon but I am very pleased with it.