Saturday 30 May 2009

Feed Sack Blocks



I found these feedsack blocks in an antique mall in Indiana - it was the day before we flew home. They are handpieced but not very expertly and the centre crosses are made from plain cotton of various weights and qualities. As usual they were also quite grubby. At first I rejected them but as I walked around the mall my brain began to work. So I decided to buy them, take them apart and make my own feedsack quilt using some of the plain white feedsack fabric I had bought earlier on my trip.



Here are some of the blocks I have taken apart ready for washing - each square is approx 5 inches. I will have around 60 squares, although some have little holes, stains etc. These blocks cost me $7.50 which I think is a pretty good price.

The photos give you a pretty good idea of the fabric patterns I have and together they will make a lovely pastel quilt. I have not decided what blocks I will make yet but it will be something simple perhaps making the squares into HSTs to make the patterned fabric go further.
I don't know what the original maker was thinking of when she used this red fabric - but it does hold with the philosophy that fabric was too precious to waste so you used what you had available!


This morning I found this package of cat food which I had forgot to put away in the cupboard. Patches has a habit of helping herself to food even though there was plenty in the dish!
Today is wonderfully sunny here in England - we are having a dry sunny spell which has been good because the schools are all on holiday this week. This afternoon is the FA Cup Final (soccer) which I don't watch but at least they have a good day for it. I will be watching the French Open tennis and waiting for a deluge of teenagers to arrive. Today is my youngest son's 15th birthday and he has decided to have a BBQ in the garden!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

blushing rose said...

The feedsack prints are wonderful ... lucky you! TTFN ~ Marydon

Jude said...

How lovely that he decided to have a BBQ at homw...
Those feed sack prints are lovely, I look forward to seeing what you do with them.