Monday 11 January 2010

Liberated Stripes Quilt.

The weather is no better here today - still snowing and school closed again. The novelty has worn off now and I want it to go away. Indoor quilting activities are great but this week I have two important quilting events that require travel and at the moment both could be under threat so that is making me stressed.

Over the weekend I have been working on the second quilt made with the over dyed striped fabric. This came about because I had so many leftovers and trial blocks fom the first quilt and also because I wanted to try more liberated quilting. My interpretation of liberated quilting in this particular quilt is using up all the leftovers in as pleasing a pattern as possible.

This is my progress as of last night. It is 33 inches square and has one more border to go on which will be a nine patch border.
I know that some of you in blogland will hate it because it is loud and busy and a bit chaotic but I rather like it and I love being able to use up all the bits so that I can feel a project is truly finished.
Here are photos of the various stages. When using scraps I find the medallion style easier to work with.








I started with 5 metres of striped fabric (it was probably a little extra as they are often generous with the cutting of sale fabric) which was 56 inches wide. Some was over dyed with procion dyes, some dyed in an indigo dye bath and some left undyed. If I have calculated correctly I will have managed to make two quilts with this fabric, both approx 40 inches square including both backs and bindings! So you can see there won't be much fabric left!
One quilt will have a plain undyed back and the other a pieced back which I have made but not had chance to photograph.

7 comments:

Angela said...

I love your quilt, bright and loud always appeals to me :)

Sue Wild said...

Wow, Janet, it looks really cool! You've created a stunning effect with those stripy fabrics.

Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

Heckety said...

That is just A-MAY-ZING!!!! I think you've been ever so creative with your scraps!

I found by chance a dyer of interesting (and gorgeous) fabric this week, I think you'd be interested. I'll go and find the link...www.vickiwelsh.com

Unknown said...

Oh! What a bright snappy print design, Janet. Love it.

Have a beautiful week.
Huggers, TTFN ~ Marydon

PS Please make sure to change your settings to follow me on our new blog ~ blushingrosetoo.blogspot.com

Susan Briscoe said...

Love what you've been doing with this fabric!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.