Saturday 2 February 2008

Module 2 Colour - Sample 4 Flying Geese

Flying geese are a very popular pattern used in the quilting world and I am sorry that I did not have the time to do them justice at this point in my course. However I am sure that I will return to them again.
Artwork was a difficult choice for this one. I wanted to show the triangular pattern in both the birds themselves and in their flying formation so I chose the photo shown below.
The triangular formation of the wings in flight is shown by the picture of the weather vane. The other picture shows the Wild Goose Chase block which is seen on many vintage quilts.


This first block shown in the photo below, is sometimes called Wild Goose chase but it can also be called Dutchman's puzzle. It is done by the Lynne Edwards method of using two sizes of squares to make the triangular unit. It is one of the blocks that I made last year as part of a sampler quilt. This quilt is of course a UFO needing one more block before I can embark on Lynne's fabulous 'quilt as you go' method.


The second sample block, shown below is the one I did to match my design source and artwork using the black for the geese and the blue for the sky. This is a foundation pieced sample.



No comments: