We looked at tessellating shapes for our source and I found this drawing done by Escher. I drew out the crosses onto squared paper in order to design my sample which is enclosed in the black square.
I then made a collage in textured paper to show the interlocking crosses.
For the sewed sample I worked out rows of rectangles of differing lengths, based on whether they covered 1, 2 or 3 rows on my squared paper drawing. I then quilted the sample, outlining within each cross. As for most of this module I have used my hand dyed fabric.
If I had more time I would have liked to have done a more complicated tessellation but as it is I am quite pleased with the result.