Tuesday 20 May 2008

CITY & GUILDS MODULE 3 TEXTURE SAMPLE 5 TESSELLATIONS

I have just completed my 9th class out of 10 for my City & Guilds. This weekend I had my texture module assessed which means I have only 2 more to complete. Module 4, Form is almost completed - just the resolved piece to do and the presentation to improve. So no excuse now to post up the rest of Module 3......

We looked at tessellating shapes for our source and I found this drawing done by Escher. I drew out the crosses onto squared paper in order to design my sample which is enclosed in the black square.
I then made a collage in textured paper to show the interlocking crosses.
For the sewed sample I worked out rows of rectangles of differing lengths, based on whether they covered 1, 2 or 3 rows on my squared paper drawing. I then quilted the sample, outlining within each cross. As for most of this module I have used my hand dyed fabric.

If I had more time I would have liked to have done a more complicated tessellation but as it is I am quite pleased with the result.



No comments: