Monday 15 September 2008

CITY & GUILDS MODULE 4 FORM. SAMPLES 1 & 2, CUT BACK APPLIQUE AND KANTHA QUILTING

I decided to base this entire unit on my visit to the USA in March this year. More specifically they are inspired by my visits to the National Parks in Arizona. These first samples are based on petrified wood from the Petrified Forest National Park. The first photo shows examples of the petrified tree trunks.

This photo is the one I used for inspiration for my artwork.


My drawing done with water colour pencils.
This first sample is done using cut back applique. There are 6 layers of fabrics including sheers and net along with marbled fabric. The design is drawn onto the backing fabric and stitched using a narrow zigzag stitch. Then it is cut to reveal different fabrics in the different sections of the design. Quite a simple technique which gives great results!

I used the same artwork for the second sample but this time produced a foam stamp from the drawing. I practised first by stamping onto black card and then onto fabric, using metallic fabric paints.
This sample is supposed to be an example of Kantha Quilting but I am not sure that it really should be quilted in squares like this. However I do like the overall effect - I have used a metallic thread for the quilting and that gives a jewel like effect.
I actually missed the class that went with these samples so I was not quite as confident with them as I could have been.

2 comments:

Angela said...

Your samples are great, I particularly like the cut back applique one!

Jude said...

Well done and thank you for explaining so thoroughly. It's very interesting to understand the whole concept. Good luck with you course
Jude