Wednesday 13 October 2010

A Textile Weekend

At the end of September I had a textile weekend with my friend Lynne.
On the Saturday we went to Farfield Mill Sedbergh to hear a talk by Alice Kettle and see her new exhibition Allegory.
The photo is taken from their website and shows an example of her work. She is known for her machine embroidery and the talk she gave was excellent.
On Sunday we went to the Textilia III exhibition at the Piece Hall Halifax. The work which impressed us the most was by Janet Browne.
The photo is taken from her website.

She does raw edge applique building up many layers and then cuts away the background areas.

1 comment:

Davina said...

I have recently joined the Embroiderers Guild in Halifax and Janet Browne came and gave us a talk and workshop (but I didn't go to the workshop) She was an excellent speaker. Some of her work is in the Design Gallery at Leeds Art Gallery. I have been blogging regularly see me on cottonconfetti.blogspot.com and appletreecrafts.blogspot.com. Which day are you going to K&S?