Monday 13 February 2012

Trapunto Workshop with Philippa Naylor

On Saturday I was lucky to attend a workshop with Philippa Naylor. Actually I organised it for my embroidery/patchwork group! We have a lovely big venue at the church where we meet so Philippa is able to teach 20 ladies in one class. This is the fourth year that Philippa has taught for our group and this years technique was trapunto. 
Before you ask, last year it was curved piecing, and that is still a UFO so I am hoping to do better this year.
I have decided to share my progress and hopefully this workshop sample will turn into a small quilt.

 The first photo shows my progress of as last night. This is the first stage completed but I will guide you through the process in a series of photos.
 First we drew our design (Philippa's design actually!) onto fabric.
 Then we added a double layer of 80/20 wadding behind the design and stitched just inside the motifs using water soluble thread. This was done using Free Motion Quilting so the line is a bit wobbly - the stitches are supposed to be as long as possible so they are easier to remove, mine vary quite a lot!
 Then you start to cut away the wadding just leaving the areas that you want to have the trapunto effect.
This is a fiddly process but actually quite enjoyable in a theraputic sort of way!
 This then leaves this pattern of wadding shapes on the back that remind me so much of flock wallpaper!

The next stage should be to layer it up with some more 100% cotton wadding and start quilting but I have a little problem! My motifs are quite near the edge so I am going to have at add a border before I do this.

It is half term this week and I have no classes so I hope it is not too long before I can report on the next stage of this small quilt. However I do have my two class samples, my Little Log Cabin Trees and another UFO to work on this week!

Robert returned from New York on Saturday having had a fantastic time - he has taken 800 photos and has bought himself loads of trendy clothes! He would love to go back but not until he is 21!

3 comments:

Peneller said...

What a lovely little Trapunto quilt it will be when it's finished! Next time you'll need to make a big enough one to use as flock wall paper! Only teasing!!!

Leo said...

Trapunto always looks so complicated. Good work so far!

michele said...

Very nice job! Trapunto is on my bucket list. Just wanted to let you know that I listed you on my Versatile Blogger Award. Here is a link to the post:

http://quilting-tutorials.blogspot.com/2012/02/versatile-blogger-award.html