This is a sample of Broderie Perse. Our design source for this weekend was leaves and I have printed using real leaves onto calico. The leaves were then bondawebbed onto the background and appliqued with machine zigzag. I confess that I was inspired by some leaf prints one of my fellow students had done - thanks Jackie! I decided to place the leaves in a pattern inspired by Hawaiian applique as that was our next topic. Found the leaf fabric in my local Hobbycraft - it is by Makower - and couldn't resist as it is perfect for my leaf sample background!!
My first Hawaiian applique sample which is based on the ivy leaf. It is only a small applique but I had dreadful problems with my internal corners as I had clipped my seam allowances. I then decided to blanket stitch around the whole design which looks good but is very time consuming - don't know if you can see it in the photo.
I am now working on a larger design from Lynne Edwards' book on which I have not clipped any seam allowances as advised by her and this seemed to work much better. Thanks to Judith Barker from BQL for the advice and postcards she gave me on this topic.
The next topic was secret garden which was very fiddly. After lots of practise attempts I decided to use Lynne Edwards method as published recently in one of the patchwork mags. It seems to work best if you do not bring any of the stitching through to the back and use a hem stitch to catch down the curves.
Finally we had to do 3D flowers and I did not like the suggested sample so I did my own thing. This is based on a Jennie Rayment design found in Magic Patch magazine. It is really quick and easy to do and very attractive.