Monday 19 October 2009

Another Mini Quilt inspired by a Vintage Plate.

I really enjoyed making the first mini quilt so decided to make another. This one is actually for my City & Guilds Machine Embroidery Collection, it is fusing snippets of fabric onto a background, covering with a sheer and free machining over the top using an automatic stitch. The only thing is I am actually free motion quilting using the automatic stitch! It is 10 inches square like the other one.
This is the original plate made by J&G Meakin in 1966 and the design is called 'Aztec'.
I really like how all the triangles fit together to make the circle - and I love the colours too!

I cut some strips of fabric, 1 inch or 1.5 inches wide and attached bondaweb to the back. I then cut the strips by eye into triangles and removed the bondaweb backing. Starting in the centre I arranged them into a circle onto a square of calico and as I was happy with each circle I ironed them down. I added a blue circle to the center and then covered with a sheer.
It took me a while to decide how the quilt it but I decided a spiral starting from the centre would look best. I have used a pale blue polyester thread and the automatic stitch is a scallop shape which I have stretched a bit by playing with the stitch width and length.


Here is the back so you can see the detail of the quilting.





4 comments:

Jude said...

Wonderful...
maybe asilly question..but what's 'sheer'??

Quilthaze said...

I really love that plate Janet and your quilt is beautiful!

Sue Wild said...

Amazing samples. Those plates are quite inspiring.

Nia Tilley said...

This is really neat Janet. I love your inspiration and the interpetation. Another technique to try. Thanks!