Wednesday, 18 November 2009

Noah's Ark Block - birds and tortoises.

I am busy working on my City & Guilds samples for college this coming weekend so not much 'proper' quilting going on. Although I have recently finished this block from Lynette Anderson's Noah's Ark series.
If you look in the sidebar you will be able to link to the other blocks I have made. I am now stitching the Ark.

Looking forward to visiting the Knit and Stitch show at Harrogate on Friday so it is going to be an enjoyable but busy weekend.

Monday, 16 November 2009

Don't call the quilt police!

I thought I would share this City & Guilds piece with you this morning - but beware some readers may find it upsetting!

The part I am referring to is the background quilting - if you look closely you will see it is all loopy. What's more - this is how it is supposed to be! Apparently it is a legitimate stitch in the world of machine embroidery - feather stitch!

Usually I have no problem getting this effect but I really struggled to get it to do this on this piece. I have to say I don't like it and it jumps out at me everytime I look at it. Anyway I have done the piece as I was instructed.

It has made up into a mini quilt 10 x 10 inches. When I showed DH he really liked and and asked if I could enter it into one of the quilt shows! Oh no I said, I would be ashamed to show it!
Do you think the judges would get it?

Thursday, 12 November 2009

Halloween Quilt Top Completed.

Remember this quilt? It comes near the top of my UFO list and it is actually the second quilt I ever started. One of these days I will show my first quilt!
As Halloween approached I decided to get it out again and work on it. When we went to Scarborough at half term I found some orange and black which I thought would be perfect for the borders. The reason that it was not finished was because I could not decide on the borders so now I had no excuse.

First I added the stripe border. It is very bright and the jury is out on whether it is the right orange or not but I think it really lifts the quilt - which was in danger of looking a bit dull.

Then I added another narrow black border and finally the wider pumpkin border which I had always known I wanted to end with.

So here is the completed quilt top. I have a very loud Halloween pumpkin print for the backing and I will bind it in black.

Sunday, 8 November 2009

Patchwork Bag Workshop

Last month I attended a patchwork bag workshop run by Sheila, a member of my embroidery/quilting group. It was a lovely day and Sheila worked very hard to ensure that we all made a lovely bag.
I chose Kaffe Fassett fabric for my main fabric - this is one of my favourite designs from his range.

The back and front are different and all parts including the sides were quilted before assembling the bag.

Close ups of the quilting.

The bag was lined with another bright print and it also has an internal zipped pocket.
It was quite a fiddly bag to make but it was a great learning experience and I am pleased with the finished item.

Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Jonathan's Photo

This is the photo that my son currently has in an exhibition. More details in post below.