Sunday 4 January 2009

Birthday Block Swap December - Mardis Gras

Sad to say that I am still behind with the Birthday Block Swap but hey it is only Jan 4th today so things are not all bad! This block is for Peggy who lives in New Orleans and it will be in the post to the US tomorrow. Peggy's theme was Mardis Gras and at first I was really stumped on this one. Luckily Peggy posted up some blocks on the same theme that she received in the last swap so that gave me some ideas. Basically she wanted blocks using the traditional Mardis Gras colours of purple, green and gold. I have used some of my hand dyed cottons for this - I have tried to photo this block twice with little sucess - but trust me the colours are much better and darker 'in the flesh'. The block is called Cheyenne from the Judy Hopkins 'Once More Around the Block'. I liked it because the central gold and purple pieces made a 'cracker' shape. Hope Peggy likes it too!
As you can see I made two other blocks as well - these are using some printed Mardis Gras fabrics I found in my stash. I was not sure if they were ok because they may have too many other colours in them. Anyway I enjoyed making them and I am sending them to you as a bonus Peggy - they will be ok for the back or for some cushions!

Since New Years Eve I have been busy with a new project. For a few months I have been reading Bonnie Hunter's blog and admiring her scrap quilts. Anyway she has started a new Mystery Quilt, Double Delight and I could not resist.
There are 120 of these units which need the other two shirting triangles added - and that only completes Step 1. However I am finding the repetitive nature of doing these little blocks very calming and enjoyable. Bonnie is a very generous quilter who has loads of free patterns on her website along with the steps for the mystery quilt.


No comments: