Monday 19 January 2009

CITY & GUILDS MODULE 4 FORM, SAMPLE 4 NEEDLE TURN APPLIQUE ON PAINTED BONDAWEB BACKGROUND!

I have been at College all weekend and realised that the first year students are rapidly catching up to the point I had reached with the blogging of my first year work. To recap, the first year consists of 5 modules with associated artwork and samples.
Module 4 was based completely on my visit to Arizona in March 2008 and this sample was inspired by Chiricahua National Monument which is a remote but spectacular place. It consists mostly of eroded rock formations which are ideal design sources. As always you can click on all the photos to see more detail.




A few photos to give you a flavour of the place and this photo was used as a design source for my artwork.

The artwork is done in pastels.

First we painted a background onto bondaweb - now mine did not work out as well as it should - it is just too dense. I think this is because I used Heat and Bond instead of the regular bondaweb. The brown rock is needle turned using my favourite freezer paper on top technique and then the details were embroidered on using metallic thread.
I was not very pleased with this sample but it was a great learning experience - I do need to do more work on the painted bondaweb technique because I know it can give much better results than this.




No comments: