Friday 10 July 2009

Birthday Block Swap - May Blocks

May was 'my' month in this swap and I thought I would share photos of the blocks I have received.
My theme was black and white log cabin with red centres. I did not give any instructions about the sizes of logs or centres because I wanted the scrappy effect.
There are 12 of us in the group so I was expecting 11 blocks. So far I have received 9, although one lady made two and one block was made for me by Sue who was in a different group from me. 4 members of the group have not sent a block although 2 have been in touch to say that they are still intending to make my block.

I really love the blocks I have received - the advantage of swapping is that you get a much scrappier effect than you could just using your own fabrics (unless you had a mega stash!). What I have decided to do is to use 8 of the blocks as the central panel of the quilt and then add more panels to the sides. The first will be flying geese. I think this could make a really attractive quilt.
Here are some close up photos.
The block I have left over will be made into a cushion for DS2's girlfriend for her birthday next week.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Jude said...

I'm impressed that they are nearly all the same size and... similar..in a strange way.

Sue Wild said...

Would you like another block? I've got a few black and white/white and black strips? Let me know details of sizes and I can bring along for Wednesday.

Sue