Wednesday 15 July 2009

Next border on Maverick Stars Quilt

This morning I completed the next border on Maverick Stars. I have used the same zig zag border that I used on the Laura Ashley quilt. I really like the framing effect of this border but of course you do need to get your measurements correct to get the triangles to fit.

Here is a closer view of the corner. One of the things that stands out to me is the randomness of the stripes on the white zig zags. At one time I would have hated this and tried to get the stripes to match but now I think it adds to the scrappiness and the design as a whole.
I do want to look into working with stripes more as this accounts for most of the recycled shirts that I love to use!

There will only be one more border which will be scrappy bricks in the blue fabrics. I hope that this will frame the quilt nicely and help to use up all the bits of blue I have left over. I have decided that there is enough black and white spot fabric in the quilt now.
I took this photo a couple of days ago. Most of my sons' clothing is black and this shows what happens if you wash a couple of hundred red charm squares in with your dark wash!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Cheryl Willis said...

Looking very very good. The background just adds to the look. great way to re-cycle those favorite shirts. cw

Nia Tilley said...

Hi Janet,
The quilt is coming along beautifully.
Thanks for your kind comments on my little Gem. I would love to see some photos of them hanging. I think they will look beautiful.

All the best.
Nia

Denise said...

I am loving how your Maverick Stars quilt is turning out. And as a totally newbie quilter I have to say I am in awe of how complex it is. Wow!