Sunday 5 July 2009

What I did yesterday whilst watching the tennis!

I am a big fan of tennis and for me Wimbledon is the best tennis tournament. So most afternoons and evenings I have been glued to the TV. I have also been planning my 'free summer of quilting' which I can enjoy until the end of September when I go back to college to start another City & Guilds certificate.
Over the last couple of days I have been planning more Laura Ashley quilts and I currently have 3 in the planning stages - a more traditional Welsh medallion quilt, a quilt using crumb blocks and a Bonnie Hunter scrap quilt using my large 4.5 inch square collection.
This collection increased earlier this week due to my excellent swap with my quilting buddy, Mary. I decided that I would wash these squares as really I do prefer to work with washed fabric. I put the 'light' squares into a pillowcase and put them in the washing machine. Even though I tied the top into a knot this is what came out of the washer!

It took the entire ladies final at Wimbledon to turn the top photo into the photo below!
Sorry this photo is on its side but as you can see it is a tall pile - there are a few hundred squares here! The main problem with washing such small squares are all those frayed edges!


I have four light patterns as you can see - note the lovely Cath Kidston ironing board cover I got for my birthday!


And here is a photo of Chumley, the least shy of Mary's two handsome tuxedo cats.


Just a quick note to those of you who have read down to the end of this post - I did post some more photos of my Laura Ashley quilt yesterday but because I had saved them as a draft they were posted below my last post. If you want to see them just scroll down a bit!
Hope all my American readers had a great 4th July - I will be hoping 'your boy' Andy wins this afternoon!




1 comment:

Jude said...

Yes, I found your additional part of your post.
Don't like tennis myself, it's a good job because I can't get it here anyway....